The W. K. McClure Scholarship Program offers UT students (undergraduate and graduate) financial awards up to $5,000 to support research and creative projects abroad aimed at enhancing and promoting education for world responsibility.
The scholarship can be applied to any project which offers the potential for the development of knowledge relative to significant issues or problems associated with world affairs and the reduction of international conflict, principally through legal, cultural, political, economic, social, and scientific studies.Begin McClure Application
- Students must be enrolled full-time at the University and must receive credit for the research and/or creative project funded by the McClure Scholarship. Any UTK student (undergraduate or graduate) may apply.
- Students must be in good standing with the University.
- While there is no absolute grade point criterion, successful applicants generally have a GPA between 3.0 and 4.0.
- Students must not have previously received a McClure Scholarship.
- The McClure Scholarship will not be awarded to support participation on a Study Abroad Program or for projects taking place simultaneously with a Study Abroad program
A committee of faculty and administrators will review applications and select the scholarship recipients. Students will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated connection between the project and the goals of the scholarship program
- Contribution of the project to the overall educational career of the student and to the broader community
- Academic quality and feasibility of the project
- Demonstrated commitment of the student and faculty advisor to the project
- Student’s demonstrated ability to initiate and sustain creative activities and research
- Projects must incorporate a significant amount of time abroad (minimum of 4 weeks)
- Both the project and the final report or project ending piece of work (written report, a visual report, an artistic production, computer-based production, pieces of creative writing, etc) must be completed before graduation.
- The committee may require a personal interview as part of the application process
Interested in learning more about creating a scholarship or supporting Programs Abroad? Contact Mark Clark at email@example.com or 865-974-8496