International Health Insurance Coverage
UT faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad on university-sponsored trips are covered by an international travel insurance policy underwritten by Chubb Insurance. To qualify, you must comply with the university’s travel exception process, which you can see here. You can download the full plan benefit brochure, here:
2022-2023 Chubb Plan Benefit Brochure
Benefit highlights include:
- $500,000 Total Maximum per Covered Accident or Sickness
- $0 Deductible per Covered Accident or Sickness
- Emergency medical and security evacuation benefits
- $2,000 benefit to help cover COVID-19 quarantine-related expenses abroad
Be sure to read the definitions, description of benefits, and limitations in the brochure above. While this plan does provide some coverage for trip delays and interruptions, its primary purpose is health insurance, NOT trip insurance. Trip cancellation insurance, if needed, should be purchased independently.
Generally, most medical costs abroad will be paid directly by the traveler. These out-of-pocket costs can then be submitted to Chubb as a claim for reimbursement. Travelers who would like to file a claim should:
- Fill out the claim form, which you can download here.
- Send the completed claim form and any necessary supporting documents (e.g. copies of itemized doctors’ bills, proof of payment, etc.) to Gallagher@hsri.com.
You can direct international insurance questions to Shawn Lenker at email@example.com.
24/7 Travel Assistance with International SOS
In addition to international health insurance coverage, UT partners with International SOS (ISOS) to provide 24/7 medical, security, and emotional assistance to our travelers while they are abroad.
ISOS can support UT travelers in many ways, including:
- Providing pre-travel, location-specific information, alerts, and advice via the ISOS website, available here.
- Locating and scheduling appointments with medical providers abroad.
- Replacing medication while abroad.
- Providing medical and/or security advice or emergency assistance abroad.
- For more benefits, see the following resource: Why Should I Call International SOS.
International SOS’s network of medical and security services operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, all over the world. International SOS will also get in touch with UT as needed, depending upon the situation, and can even communicate with your family members back home.
To take advantage of this benefit:
- Download and carry the International SOS membership card with you while abroad. This includes UT’s membership number (11BCAS080063) and ISOS 24/7 phone numbers.
- Download the ISOS Assistance App. Includes location-specific health, safety, and security information and advice, the UT membership number (11BCAS080063), and ISOS 24/7 phone numbers.
Contact International SOS
From pre-travel questions to emergency assistance abroad, you can reach out to International SOS via phone at +1-215-942-8226 or via the Assistance App. The assistance center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
University of Tennessee Membership Number: 11BCAS080063