Meet Julius Yaw Osei

Master’s student in French and Francophone studies, Julius Yaw Osei traveled from Ghana, Africa to Knoxville, Tennessee to study at the University of Tennessee.

“I deliberately chose the University of Tennessee for its excellence in education, research, and academic achievement,” Osei said. “The University not only offers its students an intimate, collegial experience but also provides ideal conditions for the attainment of advanced degrees.”

Osei earned his BA in French at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Kumasi, Ghana and his Diploma in Basic Education at Wesley College of Education in Ghana.

Along with being a student, Osei is a graduate teaching assistant in the Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures.

“This role has not only helped me enhance my time management skills and develop new ways of teaching but also helped me develop my skills as a teacher in the classroom,” he said.

Osei spends much of his time at the I-House and Center for Global Engagement. “I especially appreciate the warm welcome and the smiling faces that meet me and everyone else at the reception,” Osei said. “It reignites me when I’m stressed and makes my day much better.”

Osei is the oldest of his three siblings, two brothers, and one sister.

He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and he loves to read. Osei’s favorite book is a French book, “Les Veilleurs de Sangomar” by Fatou Diome

Osei is passionate about 19th Century French and Caribbean literature. He describes literature as the “mirror of life”. It’s important to read and learn about diverse cultures. “If you need to know people, you need to know their culture,” Osei said.

Osei has been at the University of Tennessee since August of 2018 and will be graduating with his master’s degree in May 2020. After graduation, he plans to get his Ph.D. and would love to continue his education in Tennessee.